Practical Digital Design
- Martin Novotný (guarantor)
- Martin Novotný (guarantor), Stanislav Jeřábek
- Department of Digital Design
Students get an overview of the contemporary digital design flow and learn practical skills to use synchronous design techniques. They understand the basics of the VHDL language, and implementation technologies FPGA and ASIC. Students demonstrate practical use of the design techniques in the module project sing modern, industry-standard CAD design tools.
Basic knowledge of architectures of computers and their units and of digital system design techniques.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Contemporary digital design flow.
2. Project management, metrics, and estimates.
3. Fundamentals of synchronous design.
4. Digital circuits implementation technologies - ASICs, FPGAs.
5. Design at the algorithm level, decomposition to blocks.
6. VHDL language for the description of digital circuits.
7. Circuit description on the RT level - registers, counters, multiplexers.
8. Circuit description on the RT level - arithmetics.
9. Circuit description on the RT level - on-chip memories.
10. Synthesis from RT level - the use of constraints.
11. Verification plan, models of verification.
12. Implementation of a testbench.
13. Design for testability.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Students will get practical experience in the design of digital circuits using EDA tools for FPGAs. Students will work out a semestral project and accomplish a short visit in a professional design center.
2. Introduction to the subject.
3.  Introduction and exercises with FPGA EDA tool.
4.  Design and verification of a simple synchronous circuit.
5.  Individual work on the semestral project.
6. Visit to a professional digital design center.
7. Presentation of the results.
- Study Objective:
The main aim is to obtain practical skills in using modern, industry-standard CAD design tools, that is, to produce synthesizable design in VHDL and implement it in a FPGA.
- Study materials:
Ashenden, P. J. The designer's guide to VHDL, 3rd Edition. Morgan Kaufmann, 2008. ISBN 0120887851.
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2020/2021:
Thákurova 7 (FSv-budova A)
Fri Thu Fri
- Time-table for summer semester 2020/2021:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Bc. Programme Informatics, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (VO)
- Bc. Branch Security and Information Technology, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (elective course)
- Bc. Branch Computer Science, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (elective course)
- Bc. Branch Computer Engineering, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Bachelor Branch Information Systems and Management, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor Branch Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Version 2015, 2016 and 2017 (elective course)
- Bachelor Branch WSI, Specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor Branch, Specialization Web Engineering, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor Branch WSI, Specialization Computer Grafics, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (elective course)
- Bachelor Branch Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Version 2018 to 2020 (elective course)