Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer
- Department of Process Engineering
Fundamentals of transport phenomena balances in homogeneous fluids. Navier-Stokes equations. Momentum transport in turbulent flows. Mechanical energy equation. Residence time distributions in continuous systems. Conduction heat transfer. Forced and natural convection heat transfer. Heat transfer with phase changes and thermal radiation. Multicomponent systems. Mass transfer by molecular diffusion, convection, with chemical reactions and interphase mass transfer.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1.Course introduction, fundamentals of cartesian tensor calculus .
2.Fundamental balance equations. General transport equation, material derivative. Equation of continuity. Momentum balance - Cauchy´s equation of dynamical equilibrium in continua.
3.Angular momentum balance. Kinematics of fluid flow. Rheological constitutive equations.
5.Inspection analysis of the Navier-Stokes equation. Drag coefficient with flow around objects.
6.Solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations in limiting cases. Engineering Bernoulli equation. Darcy-Weissbach equation. Frictional loss coefficient. Boundary layer.
7.Turbulent flow. Friction factor and frictional losses and drag coefficient with turbulent flow. Mechanical energy balance.
8.Residence time distribution. Internal energy balance and heat transfer. Fourier´s law of heat conduction.
9.Fourier-Kirchhoff ´s equation. Fourier´s equation. Steady-state heat conduction. Thermal resistance. Overall heat tranfer coefficient.
10.Multidimensional heat conduction problems. Heat conduction with internal sources or sinks. Unsteady heat conduction in solids.
11.Forced convection. Momentum and heat transfer analogy.
12.Natural convection. Mixed convection. Heat transfer with boiling and condensation
13.Radiation heat transfer. Fundamental concepts and equations of mass transfer.
14.Fick´s law. Molecular mass transfer. Mass transfer with chemical reactions. Unsteady mass transfer. Convective mass transfer. Interphase mass transfer.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Course introduction. Practical examples of momentum and heat transfer.
2. Basis of tensor calculus - examples. Application of angular momentum balance.
3. Solutions of momentum balance - Cauchy´s equation in one-dimensional cases.
4. Approximation solution of momentum balance.
5. Solution of steady-state heat conduction without and with internal sources.
6. Solution of unsteady heat conduction in solids.
7. Forced and natural convection. Calculation of heat exchanger.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
Šesták J., Rieger F.: Přenos hybnosti, tepla a hmoty. Skriptum ČVUT.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: